Almost 50% of students with ADHD experience difficulties with reading.
A school-related chore? An unwanted job? Getting teens and young adults with ADHD to read is an unpleasant activity. Motivating them to read might be avoided with all costs, but it will pay off in the end.
- Think of reading as a social activity. Try blogs that encourage interaction.
- Know your rights! Pleasure reading gives the right to read anything you want (i.e. cartoons, comics, fan fics, lower-level books).
- Empower by choosing the genre (i.e. fantasy, history, comedy).
- Watch the movie. They might like to book better.
- Organize a book club based on themes. Host a party, incorporating themes.
Motivating “our kids” to become pleasure readers can be a real battle. Having fun is key, nothing else. The rest will come in time.