The English Language Arts standard has 2 components: Literature and Informational Texts. They work in tandem, defining college and career readiness expectations. Guidelines are integrated by grade levels (9/10, 11/12).
- Informational Texts
- Cite strong and thorough evidence to support analysis of what the text explicitly says.
- Determine the meaning of words and phrases using context clues.
- Integrate and evaluate multiple sources of information presented through multiple media (i.e. visually, quantitatively, orally).
- Analyze how an author’s choices concerning how to structure specific parts of a text.
- Determine 2 or more themes or central ideas developed over the course of a text.
- Analyze multiple interpretations of a story, drama, or poem, evaluating how each version interprets the source text.