Listening comprehension is the ability to understand and make meaning of the spoken word. Listeners translate words that are heard and relate them to themselves in some way. These skills enable them to understand it, discuss it, and retell it using their own words. As abilities improve, proficiency grows and they become more effective communicators. Strategies for improvement are:
- Anticipate/predict what will come next.
- Ensure that the listener knows the specific goals of the activity.
- Listen for the main idea.
- Identify specific details.
- Monitor language for key/descriptive words.
- Talk about something of interest to keep them on task.
- Provide opportunities for discussion.